Why Does A Dog Tend To Eat Everything? When Your Dog Swallows Something They Shouldn’t

Dogs are intuitive to chew and eat almost everything they come across, whether edible or non-edible. They can’t resist and you can’t stop them, from doing that.

This may prove fatal for dogs. Why Does A Dog Tend To Eat Everything? The problem is further aggravated when your dog swallows any toxic item without your knowledge.

There may be several such things lying here and there in your home and lawn that your dog shouldn’t eat. It may be a small thing that may easily pass through the digestive tract of your dog but it will certainly have a damaging impact.

On the other hand, if a dog swallows something significant, it may get stuck anywhere in the digestive tract, causing an immediate medical emergency that may even result in death.

Whatever the situation, swallowing non-edible material by a dog is dangerous for his health and life. And being a pet parent, you need to know how to avoid it and what to do if it does.

dog eats everything

Why Does A Dog Tend To Eat Everything?

Dogs and puppies have a habit of mouthing and chewing almost everything. Mostly, it happens due to their natural behavior. But you cannot rule out the possibility of your dog having pica.

Pica is a health disorder or, more precisely, an eating disorder, which is found both in animals and humans. Generally, it is due to a deficiency of minerals. A dog with pica tends to eat non-edible things like rocks, socks, balls, etc.

So, if your dog tends to chew and taste different things that he shouldn’t, it’s pretty natural; most dogs, especially puppies, do it. But at the same time, it may be due to your dog having pica.

Similarly, some dog breeds, such as Labrador Retrievers, are known for their high chewing desire, which causes them to eat many things they should not.

So, if your dog swallowed bully stick, it’s not unnatural or unusual but needs immediate attention.

Most Common Foreign Bodies a Dog May Eat

Whether it’s due to the breed, pica, or instinct, your dog’s list of foreign bodies likely to be swallowed is unlimited. It may include socks, rocks, sticks, clothes, toys, plastic, hair ties, corn cobs, bones, coins,

fishing hooks, strings, underwear, balls, batteries, tin foils, ribbons, paper clips, etc. When you think of an item, it’s much more likely that your dog will swallow it someday. If you have any type of dog, you give them canned dog food treats.

Impact of Swallowed Foreign Bodies on Your Dog

While it’s natural for a dog to swallow something that he shouldn’t, you must be extra conscious. Occasionally, your dog might eat such undesirable material in your absence or without your knowledge.

So, you may not immediately know what has happened. If the object swallowed by your dog is small, it will most probably pass through the digestive system and go out with the feces without having a noticeable impact.

But if the object is large, it may block the intestine of your dog, thus causing an urgent medical situation. However, in both cases, your dog would need immediate medical attention.

Remember, you can hardly do anything on your own in such a situation. Try this to remove the dog’s bad behavior. Can dogs eat French toast?

puppies eat everything

Signs and Symptoms of Your Dog Having Swallowed A Foreign Object

It is very likely that your dog may eat some hazardous material without being noticed by you. But the impact of any such happening might become more dangerous with every passing moment.

So, you need to know the signs and symptoms that might appear in your dog in any such eventuality.
Here are some common symptoms you may notice if your dog swallows a foreign object.

  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Slavering
  • Abdominal pain
  • Constipation
  • Discomfort

An object stuck somewhere in the intestine may result in vomiting and lethargy. If the blockage is small, the symptoms may not be so noticeable. But in case of complete blockage of the intestine, it may result in a swollen stomach with immense pain coupled with vomiting.

This is an emergency. It would be best if you rushed to the veterinarian for urgent treatment. Any delay may result in severe consequences and even death.

It may prove quite dangerous if your dog has swallowed a string-type object. A portion of string may stuck in the teeth. A little part of the string may also be visible coming out of the anus.

Never try to pull such strings on your own; it may further harm your dog. When a dog eats a coin, he may be affected by zinc toxicity.

It will result in pale gums and blood in the urine. Similarly, swallowed batteries may cause lead poisoning, which will result in teeth grinding, loss of appetite, and hyperactivity.

How Do I Stop My Dog Eating Everything?

Clinical Diagnosis

If any of the above-mentioned symptoms occur, you need to take your dog to the vet, instantly. Your dog might have to undergo various medical tests, such as X-rays or endoscopy to know the exact size and location of the blockage.

Treatment

First of all, you must remember that there’s hardly any treatment you may try on your own in case your dog has swallowed a foreign object. Sometimes people do suggest to induce vomiting at home, but remember it may prove even more dangerous, hence not advisable.

Only a veterinarian can diagnose and suggest remedies, so make sure to take your dog to the vet. The vet will first have to examine your dog’s overall condition to determine if there’s a blockage.

He may take the help of x-rays or endoscopy to exactly locate the object or blockage caused by it. This is an essential step. Depending on the nature of the object, the impact may vary.

If the object is sharp, it may puncture the intestine. The obstruction may also result in blockage of the circulation of blood, which may end up in the death of various tissues, which may cause peritonitis.

Both these situations are quite serious and may end the life of your beloved dog. Once the vet has located the blockage and the type of object causing the blockage, the next step is to remove it immediately.

In some cases, it can be removed through endoscopic treatment but in majority of the cases, the vet may have to rely on surgery. If the surgery is done before any serious damage to the bowel, the dog may recover in a few days.

Prevention

However, in some severe cases, the damaged parts of the intestinal tract may also need to be removed. In this case, the dog must remain under observation for many days.

But as they say, prevention is better than cure, and the best treatment might be preventing your dog from swallowing undesirable items.

Dog can taste anything

How Can You Prevent Your Dog from Swallowing Foreign Objects?

The best way to avoid your dog eating non-edible materials is to keep such things out of his reach. Though you cannot make your home perfectly puppy-friendly, you may try to do it.

Choose puppy-friendly chewable toys that would not tear apart in pieces. Try to keep such items at a height your dog cannot reach. Either keep your dog away from undesirable items or keep such items away from him.

You can restrict your dog’s movement in areas free from such materials. The best way is to allow chewing nder your supervision and closely watch your dog’s activities.

Conclusion

Dogs taste, chew, and mouth everything they find around them. It is their natural behavior; why Does A Dog Tend To Eat Everything? Don’t worry if your dog is doing that. But the problem comes when your dog swallows something he shouldn’t, such as a coin, a ball, or anything.

If that happens, your dog might be in trouble. He may need immediate medical attention. Generally, it is difficult to prevent your dog from eating undesirable materials and even more challenging to know that he has done so.

Hence, you must have a basic knowledge of the signs and symptoms that may appear when your dog has eaten a non-edible material. Once you observe any such signs, you must instantly take your dog to the vet. Don’t try anything on your own; it may harm your dog.

Rahman Farhaan
Rahman Farhaan
Articles: 90

Leave a Reply